Thursday, October 22, 2015

Where The Wound Lies by Angela de Hoyos


because I go 
          like the professed 
                 sinner repentant 
to the altar 
of your baptismal flame 
         I am saved 


despite your 
                        sculptor-love 
whose whimsy kneads 
                                             and molds 
                                             and fires
then breaks 
the free-form 
of my fasting body
                                             to make 
                                             me whole
yet thankful 
I accept
                these carnal gifts
                of you 
                              Eros 
and wear them 
as I would
flawless jewels 


               (how can you 
                know that I 
                have bled
                the way 
                and back 
                biting the dust 
                to wear 
                your name?) 


. . . the wound lies 
                                                not
in your infliction 
         but in my
                 expectations . . .