Sunday, May 22, 2016

Misunderstandings by Tony Hoagland

I thought insulin was what they put in sleeping bags.

I probably should not have called my class in feminist literature Books by
    Girls.

When I compared humanity to a flower growing in the shadow of a
     munitions factory,

                                                  it may be that I was not being fair to flowers.

I thought someone was watching and keeping score.

I believed the desire for revenge was a fossil fuel that you could drive a
     lifetime on.

I thought suffering had something to be said for it.

I said, "Love me better or go to hell."
I said, "I will forgive when I am good and ready."
I said, "Rumours of my happiness have been greatly exaggerated."

I still don't understand why what I give and what I get back in return
                                                       never seem to weigh then same.

My favorite days were grey- troubled, moody, and infinite.

Each time I plunged into cold water, I was happy
in a way that can never be destroyed.

I went a million miles, I don't know why-maybe some kind of quest,
     maybe to hide.

All those years I kept trying and failing and trying
                                                       to find my one special talent in this life-

Why did it take me so long to figure out
                                                            that my special talent was trying?