Tuesday, May 24, 2022

“The sonnet, like poverty, teaches you what you can do / without,”

from “frank: sonnets” 

by Diane Seuss


I could do it. I could walk into the sea. 


I have a rental car. It’s blue and low on fuel.


I have feet, two, and proximity. I could do it.


Others have before me. Jeff Buckley (1997) he


was only 30. Carol Wayne (1985) the Matinee Lady


and a photo spread in Playboy. Dennis Wilson (1983)


after diving for a photo of his ex-wife he’d tossed


overboard years earlier. Hart Crane, well of course


Hart Crane (1932). Socialite Starr Faithfull (1931),


she was only 25, she drowned in shallow water near


the shore, her lungs all full of sand. Starr left behind


her sex diary, current whereabouts unknown. 19 men.


It’s dark. I love the dark and it loves me.


It would be fun! I could walk into the sea!


Sometimes I can’t feel it, what some call


beauty. I can see it, I swear, the conifers


and fat bees, ferns like church fans and then


the sea, its flatness as if pressed by stones


like witches were, the dark sand ridged 


by tides, strewn with body parts, claws,


the stranded mesoglea of the moon jellyfish,


transparent blob, brainless, enlightened in its clarity.


I stand there, I walk the shore at low tide, the sky


fearless, not open to me, just open, there it is,


the wind, cold, surf’s boom drowning out


thought, I can photograph it, I can name it


beautiful, but feel it, I don’t know that I am 


feeling it, when I drown in it, maybe then.