Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Excerpts from Awareness by Anthony de Mello

"Do you think you help people because you are in love with them?  Well, I’ve got news for you.  You are never in love with anyone. You’re only in love with your prejudiced and hopeful idea of that person.  Take a minute to think about that:  You are never in love with anyone, you’re in love with your prejudiced idea of that person. Isn’t that how you fall out of love? Your idea changes, doesn’t it? “How could you let me down when I trusted you so much?” you say to someone. Did you really trust them? You never trusted anyone. Come off it! That’s part of society’s brainwashing. You never trust anyone. You only trust your judgment about that person. So what are you complaining about? The fact that you don’t like to say, “My judgment was lousy.” That’s not very flattering to you, is it? So you prefer to say, “How could you have let me down?”