Friday, January 18, 2013

Midnight Mapo Tofu


I've been illin' and wishin' for some spicy soup to quell my stuffiness,
 but it's late and there isn't much in the way of yummy delivery options around midnight,
sooooo I made this ma-po tofu with my sister's dinner in mind 
and it turned into quite a tasty delight. 


Midnight Mapo is all about making do with what is available at home when you don't wanna go out. 

My foundational ingredients for ma-po are typically:

Silken and firm tofu for varied texture
garlic
(usually ginger)
leeks
chili bean oil
a splash of soy
a can of chicken stock
sesame oil
oyster sauce
pepper (black and szechuan)
corn starch

 I like cooking at home because doing so makes it possible to add 
whatever ingredients suit your fancy and flavor in the moment. 
 Fortune had it that I had shiitakes, bok choy, and filet of sole on hand 
so I made a merry medley and it worked wonderfully well together, 
although you should probably know that I sauteed the shiitakes separately 
and blanched the bok choy before it went into the sauce.

Happy Eating!