Thursday, January 24, 2013

Seoulstice: Southern-style Greens, Viet-Seafood Salad, & Napa, Radish, & Garlic Chive Kimchi



Started prepping at 8 this morning and didn't stop cooking until 5:30ish. I did my usual assessment of available ingredients and made a hodgepodge of mismatched, tasty dishes.




I began with an 'imitation is a form of flattery' homage to my friend Pauly's mamasgreens, which don't necessarily taste like hers as much as were inspired by their deliciousness.

I used:

Lacinato Kale
Collard Greens
Turnip Greens
Leeks
Onion
Garlic
Green pepper
Red pepper
Serrano chilies
Ham shank
Roma tomatoes
Chicken stock
White pepper
Cloves
Allspice
Oregano
Brown sugar
Salt
pepper
&
A lil Sherry vinegar when I ran outta
Apple Cider Vinegar :)





After approximately 2 hours...




This is a Vietnamese inspired seafood salad with pomelo and perilla.

  
The 'recipe' calls for:

Sea Scallops
Wild Tiger Prawns
Pomelo
Vietnamese Perilla Leaves, 
(which are closer to Japanese Shiso than the Korean kind)
Mint
Red Peppers
Cucumber
Fried Shallots

Nuoc Cham Dressing:
Lime
Fish Sauce
Brown Sugar
Garlic
Serrano Chilies
White Vinegar


This is the Napa, Radish, & Garlic Chive Kimchi
I put together in a kimono and fuzzy boots while in the middle of an amusing conversation 
during a spontaneous visit from a friend.