Monday, January 14, 2013

Seoulstice: Kimchijigae

When kimchi has fermented past the point of pleasurable edibility, 
it is the perfect time to transform its sour flavor into a hearty stew.

My recipe calls for:

kimchi
rib beef bones (roasted)
bacon
onion
leeks
butter
dark brown sugar
serrano pepper
water






All the ingredients are simmered together for approximately 20-30 minutes,
then covered with water and braised for a few hours.



This is a picture of the jigae after a few hours of braising. 


This is the jigae after a night of rest.  

Soups and stews tend to be better the next day, 
so I let it sleep, then rendered the fat the next morning. 



Another great thing about kimchijigae is that it lends itself to versatility. You can add an enormous range of ingredients to mix it up and improve upon the base flavors. 

I added blanched Lacinato Kale to give it a bit more color and texture.

I don't mean to toot my own horn but goodgawd, it's delicious!!!
Can't wait to share it with my family!!! :D