Wednesday, September 13, 2017

After Summer Fell Apart by Yusef Komunyakaa

I can’t touch you. 
His face always returns;  
we exchange long looks  
in each bad dream  
& what I see, my God.  
Honey, sweetheart,  
I hold you against me  
but nothing works.  
Two boats moored,  
rocking between nowhere 
& nowhere. 
A bone inside me whispers 
maybe tonight, 
but I keep thinking 
about the two men wrestling nude  
in Lawrence’s Women in Love
I can’t get past 
reels of breath unwinding. 
He has you. Now 
he doesn’t. He has you  
again. Now he doesn’t. 

You’re at the edge of azaleas  
shaken loose by a word.  
I see your rose-colored  
skirt unfurl. 
He has a knife 
to your throat, 
night birds come back  
to their branches. 
A hard wind raps at the door,  
the new year prowling  
in a black overcoat.  
It’s been six months  
since we made love.  
Tonight I look at you  
hugging the pillow,  
half smiling in your sleep.  
I want to shake you & ask  
who. Again I touch myself,  
unashamed, until 
his face comes into focus.  
He’s stolen something  
from me & I don’t know  
if it has a name or not— 
like counting your ribs  
with one foolish hand  
& mine with the other.